Mung beans are healthy. Lentils are rich sources of protiens. Lentils contain significant amounts of folate (vitamin B) and magnesium. Lentils are a good source of iron. For easy digestebility and efficient absorption of nutrients lentils are often cooked with grains such as rice as accompanying ingredient. The aromatic rice with healing spices make this mung bean khichdi a sumptious and a fulfilling meal for your whole family. It is light & simple yet delicious and flavorful vegetarian dish.
Materials: 5 oz. cup as measure , wooden turner & pressure cooker
1 1/2 cups yellow split mung beans(also called moong daal)
1 1/2 cups white basmati rice
7 cups of water
3 teaspoons homemade pure ghee or clarified butter
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1/4 spoon asafoetida powder (also known as hing)
1/2 spoon turmeric powder
1/2 spoon red chili powder
1) Heat the ghee in the pressure cooker. Ghee has a low smoke point so care must be taken to prevent overheating.
2) Splatter the mustard seed.
3) Add asafoetida powder. Stir briskly with a wooden spoon.
4) Add mung beans and rice. Stir. Add salt, turmeric and chili powder. Stir.
5) Add water. Finally stir it one last time. Close the lid. Pressure cook it till you hear 3 whistles.
6) Turn off the burner. Wait for the pressure cooker to cool.
7) Once it cools. Open the lid, mix it with a wooden turner and serve.
8) Serve with yougurt and papad.