Yogurt is a great fermented food with probiotics (such as, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Lactobacillus reuteri, Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus delbrueckii, Lactobacillus bulgaricus and L. delbrueckii). It is beneficial for one’s gut health. It is a great source of calcium and good for the bones. Raw cucumbers are rich in fiber. Cucumbers have unique polyphenols called lignans. It is a rich source of flavonoids and cucurbitacins that have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- 16 oz. Your homemade yogurt or Trader Joe’s European style organic whole milk yogurt(plain)
- 4 fresh green cucumbers
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted ground cumin seeds
- chopped cilantro leaves
1) Wash the cucumbers.
2) Remove cucumber’s bitterness by cutting one of it’s end, rub the cut portion with it’s tip.
3) Peel the cucumbers.
4) Grate the cucmbers. Set them aside.
5) In another container stir the yogurt to have a smooth texture.
6) Now mix the grated cucmbers to the yogurt and stir it.
7) Add salt, chili powder and roasted ground cumin seeds. Mix it.
8) Garnish it with cilantro.
9) Serve it as an accompaniment to the main course or have it with khichdi.